I’m back today with my latest quilt finish. This one is for my friend Kristi, who is having her first child very soon. I am so excited for her! I’ve been calling this quilt Towering Triangles.
I had a lot of fun designing this quilt and putting it together. I knew I wanted to do triangles, and I got it in my head that I wanted to make at least some of the triangles striped. First, I sewed together a few strips of a Kona cotton red, and Cotton + Steel/Melody Miller’s stars in pink, and I Heart Bees in gray. I cut equilateral triangles with my ruler. I didn’t like the idea of wasting half of the triangles, so the triangles with the bees at the base became the bottom large triangle, and the triangles with the red at the base became the top two triangles. I cut yellow triangles to fill in the holes. I think the yellow is also a Kona cotton. It was leftover from another project that is still in the works. After trimming all of the triangles, I sewed them into horizontal strips. Then I broke out the navy, which is from American Made, and finished piecing the horizontal strips. Finally, I sewed all of those horizontal strips together, and voila – I had a finished quilt top.
I love the stained glass effect from the window.
I got a little fancier than usual on my quilt backing. I took the strip of four-petaled flower fabric that runs vertically in yardage of Melody Miller’s stars, and framed it with strips of the red, yellow and navy solids. I thought bees and flowers were a nice compliment! The rest of the backing is the I Heart Bees print.
After I finished my quilt top and backing I read some rumblings on the internet that there may have been some sort of production issue causing the bees fabric to run at a slant. That never occurred to me as I was working with the fabric. I just embraced the angle. The angle looks more like bees in flight to me!
And look, it’s my very first labeled quilt...hooray!